Sunday, January 17, 2010

MEMORIES OF LOVE CONTINUED

The elementary school i attended was a little old country school.  Christmas Plays, yes i said Christmas Plays, Choral recitals, Halloween Carnivals, and Flower Shows. Just local activities with the local families. Until Girl Scouts! We were going to have a Girl Scout Troop at our school.  I wanted to be a Girl Scout really bad. I wanted to wear that cool uniform , sash and earn badges. This was going to be terrific. I needed a uniform. Where do i get one?  Can you guess where i bought my uniform?
My Mom was a single parent and worked nights at a tobacco factory. Saturday was our day for shopping, eating out and just fun stuff.  It was also the day i was going to get my Girl Scout uniform! I was so excited, i could hardly wait. Mom was a late sleeper so we got a late start. We went to Willow Lawn, the only shopping center! It had everything Woolworth's, Miller & Rhoads, S & W Cafeteria, etc. Wonderful Willow Lawn!  Have you guessed where we purchased my uniform yet?  If not here's the answer, Miller & Rhoads! The Official Girl Scout Store. Mom and i made our way to the Girl Scout department. What a collection! Mom had a list of clothing i needed. The sales lady was very helpful. Mom bought uniform, sash, hat, belt, socks, and don't forget your manual. The very best day of my life! I could not wait until our meeting. I earned a couple of badges along with my Aunt Lynn. Sadly, my joy was brief. Our small country school did not or could not support a Girl Scout Troop. I was devastated. Time is a great healer. I got over it. I still have my uniform, sash, badges, bow  and manual. My hat and belt are here somewhere.






2 comments:

  1. I am getting the feeling you were loved more, where the heck is my stuff?
    Nice post and remember your picture was in the paper of the girl scouts.
    betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you have the picture? i don't remember getting my picture taken!

    ReplyDelete